Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Jos. A. Bank commercial

Nathan,

Is anything more ridiculous than a commercial that does not make sense? I'm talking about a commercial for Jos. A. Bank Clothiers that has been running on cable news shows such as CNN and FOX since Nov. 3. In it, a smarmy guy wearing upscale clothing is depicted in several different types of scenarios, with a voice-over by a Michael York sound-alike (may even be him) pronouncing a single word for each scene, apparently in an attempt to describe both the situation and the clothing. The different scenarios are, for example, helping his daughter with homework, leading a boardroom meeting, on a date with his wife, etc. I don't remember all the words, or even all the scenes, but the one that doesn't make sense is where he is helping his daughter with her homework, and the voice says, "urgency."

In all the other scenes, the spoken word coincides with the scene and makes sense. But, urgency? It's so ridiculous that I cringe every time it comes on. Please review and list this advertisement so those yokels know what a poor excuse for an advertisement they have foisted on us!

John

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate this commercial! So pretentious. Makes them look like a bunch of Brooks brothers wannabes. And I HATE that constipated-sounding guy's voice. This has to be one of the most ANNOYING commercials on TV.

Anonymous said...

So glad to see that others are as annoyed by this pretentious commercial as I am.

To further compound my agony, it seems this ad runs every 10 minutes on MSNBC.

URGENCY!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know where I can find a clip of that commercial? That man sets an example for all of us.

Unknown said...

I have hated Joeseph A Banks commercials for too many years to count - the sound of a man saying that single line over and over so excitely makes me want to vomit - it makes me feel physically ill such that I get out of bed in the morning and turn off the TV altogether (I work the night shift and so get to view the morning news shows.) So in a way I should be grateful to Mr. Bank I suppose.