Sunday, November 07, 2004

annoying ads

Dear Nathan,

Let me start by saying, excellent web site, very creative and informative. Now my purpose in writing to you is because I am currently doing a University project in which I have to find an ad (TV, magazine, paper or internet) that I find to be offensive, irritating or ineffective. I have to support my claim explainning why I find the ad offensive, irritating or ineffective and what can be done to improve it.

Basically I have to wite a formal business report, 8-10 pages long addressed to the CEO of the company trying to convince him/her to remove or change the ad (and in what way).

I found lots of ads, but didn't find anytihng to write much about, or simply didn't find any demonstration. I searched, for instance, for a clip of the Skittles commercial in which the Grand-Parents of a kid sits with him and eats Skittles and the kids Grandma starts rapping in front of the kid and then reveals her cheat (shocking the kid). This would go under offensive and defaming the elderlies. It can also go as innefective because, I mean... does that ad make you wanna buy some Skittles? This commercial would be GOLD for my project. I can easily run a sample survey on that one.

Of course, from my personal point of view, I really, REALLY hate McDonald's "I'm lovin' it" ads, the Mazda's gay "Zoom Zooms" and mostly, the "It's not delivery, it's DeGiorgo (or Delicio or whatever)" I won't even begin to talk about how much I hate that last one. But I would need hard evidence to back up my claims if you know what I mean...

Anywho, bottom line: Could you help m find an .mpg file of the Skittles ad and/or pictures to demonstrate? I am getting short on time so please reply as soon as possible. I'd really appreciate it.

Thank You,

Nizar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've probably finished your paper by now, but how can you write objectively about why some ads suck? Anything subjective you write about them is not gonna seem like evidence. For instance, they suck because they are ignorant and patronizing. I suppose you can objectively say that the skittles commercials violates our society's standards of decency. I mean ewww... sorry... subjectiveness.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion I think that the skittles ad's are great and they really make my day. Did you manage to find a sample of the ad?