Friday, December 19, 2003

From a kindred spirit

Nathan,

I stumbled across your site today and it's hilarious.  I'm glad you included the category,stupid men commercials, as that's one that's bothered me for a long time.  Some of them are truly offensive.  If a minority was portrayed that way with such consistency, there would be law suits and protests galore.

A category you may have missed that bothers me is "regular" people singing a product theme song- like the Kitkat song.  It's an annoying song and I've never known someone to spontaneously sing it.  They've been showing them for years and I've been waiting for them to go away.  Now, instead, Chili's- a Tex Mex restaurant chain- has copied it.  I've seen two now- both show musicians singing the Chili's theme song.  The worst part is that on the bottom they say who the musicians are- "Bob Whatever, school teacher."  So, they're part time musicians?  Like wedding singer bands?  I don't get it.

You also seem to have ignored an entire genre- car commercials.  I generally don't find them as bad- except for a recent truck one that emphasises a Hemi, which is shown to be some impressive male power thing. I'm especially irritated by it, because I don't know what a Hemi is and apparently should, so I'm reminded of how un-manly I can be.  But I digress.  My overall problem with the car commercials is with the volume of them.  I seriously don't think there is a prime time commercial break without them.  I'd rather pay $1,000 less for my car and not have to endure all those commercials.

Rather than create a website to vent my frustration, as you did, I bought Tivo.  Since installing it a few weeks ago, I haven't seen a commercial I didn't want to watch (I watched the trailer for Lord of the Rings).  I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the website,

Kit

No comments: