Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Daily Lesson for Web Idiots

Thank you ! Thank you !

Add, youve got - I got - etc. to your list.

 Most of the major advertising agencies, and news papers, must not have writers and proof readers, or (there) Editors can't read.

 I am 75 years on this orb and I believe that this 25 year span has had the most illiterate mass of people I have had the opportunity to encounter.

An anecdote:  16 years past, I had a position of Sales Application Engineer for an Electronics firm.  One of the younger sales persons was studying for his Masters, driving to a University 85 miles away , twice a week for classes.. He gave me a paper that he had written on a published Classic, by a well known author.  He asked me to read and critique his paper. I was astounded!  I asked him where he had found the material, in that book, that he had written about.  I told him that the books meaning was not even close to what he had written.  We discussed what he thought the book was about, and I asked him if he had  a common dictionary at hand when he was reading.  He said no, he never used a dictionary.  I suggested that he reread  the book with a dictionary at hand, and to look up every word that he that thought that he knew the meaning of. Two weeks later he told me I had completely destroyed his confidence in his self, but that he could now see why the book was on the Professors reading list.

The real pathetic irony of this narative is - His mother is a high school English teacher. 

Thank you, again.

Darrell

No comments: